Re: Small Harp Amp

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hammond" <dawgawntired@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Small Harp Amp

> Bob,
> Did you do any tube subs on the Pro Jr to get the tone you liked?

Hi Chris,
As far as the tubes go, I changed all of them from the original Chinese and
Russian crap tubes, and replaced them with NOS US made tubes, all the same
numbers as specified in the tube chart on the amp. For the 12AX7's, I used
NOS GE's (or NOS US made GE's made under the Mullard label), and NOS US made
GE EL84/6BQ5's. So they're essentially the same tube configurations, but
using better quality tubes. I did not go with substituting a 12AY7/6072 in
the first position as some playhers I know have, as it sounds perfectly fine
for me as is (I have played it with that sub when sitting in using a friend
of mine's Pro Junior and it sounded great this way too). If you get one made
after 1995, it still sounds good with the ceramic ferrite magnet speaker
they're currently using, but if you get the alnico magnet speaker they used
until 1995, it sounds damned near like a Bassman at 1/4th of the volume.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA