Re: Reading music

      Reading isn't imperative to be a great musician, I think I was making
some great music, before I could read a note 25 years ago. I did however get
frustrated at rehearsals when I wanted to show the band new tunes and I had
to resort to humming the groove or melody and stomping my feet to show the
drummer the beat I wanted. I think when you decide to play with others
professionally, you owe it to yourself as well as the rest of the music
world to learn the "language" of music....here's a recent example:

Last week I got back from a tour of Japan, on the last two nights of our
Tokyo engagement, our Special Guest ( Eddie Floyd), had to leave early for
the States and it was decided to to bring in a Famous Japanese Rock Star
(Kyoshiro Otawano) for the last two nights to play with our band (The
Original Blues Brothers Band.)

 He brought in charts for 3 of his songs and we read them down at a
rehearsal on the afternoon of the gig....and it all sounded great and the
process of "reading" saved the gig!!!!  Attemping to try to pull this off by
memory on such short notice would have been a disaster for sure.

         There was NO problem of lacking any SOUL, we had Steve Cropper &
John Tropea on Guitars, Lou Marini on Tenor Sax, Alan Rubin on Trumpet and a
full band of players that not only "Grooved" but got the job done on time!

     The point is, not everybody is at the same level of reading
proficiency, but a common core and Knowledge base is imperative if we are to
commuicate with other musicians, in this case the Rock star spoke hardly any
English, but it didn't matter....his charts were in a language we all
understood.,-)!!

     OK, harp content! Kyoshiro played a solo on diatonic on one of his
tunes...he played one of my Lavoie Vermont Maple Harps and "Loved" it!
..........love & peace...rob paparozzi