Re: Buying a new chromatic

- --- Samuel Gravina <sgravina@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've decided to replace my Chromatic.  I love my
> CX-12 but it's big drawback
> was every time I dropped it it broke.

Hey Sam... You gotta stop dropping your harp! They
last much longer that way. LOL!

If money isn't an issue, get something from
Brendan.

Have you considered the Hohner Super 64? Costs much
less than the 64X (around $121), and it has a
marvelous, warm tone. Brendan will sell you a
re-worked Super 64, but it runs about $250.

I had Bill Romel go over mine (worked on the
mouthpiece, valves and gaps) and it's been my main
chromatic axe for the last 4 years with no other
modifications (outside of regular cleaning). He
charged me about $60 bucks or so for the work
(don't quote me on that, it's been too long for me
to accurately remember what I paid).

After Bill's magic was added, my Super 64 plays
~much~ better than my stock 64X... and, brother,
I'm not easy on my harps.

My 2 cents.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

P.S. I also have one of Brendan's re-worked 270s
and it's absolutely the sweetest! Brendan does
awesome work, but his harps are kind of expensive.

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens