Re: Wireless

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hammond" <dawgawntired@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 7:06 PM
Subject: Wireless

> Any recommendations on a wireless setup?  I have seen these samson airline
> things that look like they require no beltpack.  Is there such a thing as
an
> "unobtrusive" wireless setup for microphone?

Hi,
I can't say that I've tried that new Samson Airline, but from what I've
seen, it's a pretty cool idea. However, if you're going to buy a wireless
unit, you want one with true diversity, which uses two antennas so if the
signal on one channel is weaker. it'll automatically switch to the stronger
channel. Some more expensive models you can change to a number of different
frequencies, especially if it's going into UHF signals. I've been using a
Nady Wireless 3D since I got it new back in 1995, one of the last ones that
was supposed to have a range in the line of sight of up to 1500'. I can't
say I've measured this, but I KNOW I've gone well over 500' from it. You'll
need to check them all out and see what sounds right to your ear, as they do
change the tone in varying degrees, with some emphasing highs, some lows,
etc., some marginally changing and some dramatically. Also you want to make
sure you get one that has the longest possible battery life on the
transmitter or be prepared to chew up batteries just as quick, if not
quicker than a digital effects pedal. If you get a used one, the older ones
will have a shorter transmitter battery life, especially the one Rod Piazza
uses, which is a 70's Samson VR-2, which maximum range in the line of sight
is 250' and battery life is about 6 hours max.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA