Re: Fw: Comb Material [revisited]

>Since the materials controversy seems to have reared it's ugly head again, I
>wonder about what I've read regarding the research that's been done. Hasn't
>there always been a PERSON blowing through the harmonicas in question?
>
>Why not take out the PLAYER?
>
>Get a tank of compressed air, use a regulator with a plastic hose, fabricate
>a "chamber" just before the output (into the harmonica), measure each
>comb/reedplate/cover set-up at vaious pressures.
>
>This would eliminate the opportunity for any human to skew the results -
>conciously or not.

  I agree. All you really need is a "fish-filter" pump. Then use a
"voice-print-analyzer". Get the human out of the equation. Although the
original tests were run with all the best intentions, they aren't absolute
(sort of like the "tone" thingie).

  Interestingly, the original tests were NOT intended to place a bias in
either direction, but merely to garner the facts (whatever they may be). It
turned out, that at the time, NO discernable difference in materials could
be ascertained.

  BUT, the "Input" (to the harp) was human
  the input to the ear was also.................smo-joe