Re: Reading for Shortharp

Hi Robb,

    Reading for the Short Harp (Diatonic), comes in many forms when your
doing Studio-Session work. Please be assured it is a MAJOR challenge!!!

    It really depends on the Writers, Arrangers and Producers you are
working with. The actual "reading" down the chart becomes only a portion of
the task. A large part of the gig is try to figure out what the producer
"really" wants to hear.

    Sometimes you get a chart, on say a 'Chevy' spot where they want some
cool "blues licks" sandwiched around their stock "chevy melody-hook". Lots
of writers have a hard time understanding the 'layout' of the diatonic...let
alone cross-harp and other positions. So they'll write out licks they've
written on a synth and then print it out for you to read.

    Now you may have a chart in front of you with interval leaps from hell
and double stops comprised of simultaneous blow & draw notes. It's up to you
to be able to decipher and make sense of this and come up with a viable and
musical alternative all in about 10 minutes time!!,-)

     Some session players prefer to read all diatonic harmonca music written
out in the key of "C" and then just pick up the appropriate key harp and
read it down in "C"...the problem is, you don't always have the luxury to
request this. You have to be ready for anything, I'm not trying to scare
anybody here, just trying to let you know that every gig is a DIFFERENT st
of circumstances....so come prepared.

     Yes, there ARE some fun sessions when the producer sez " It's just a
Blues in G so have some fun and play some cool licks".....but as soon as you
start getting into it, he interupts your last lick and says. "that was
great! but we have to add an extra 3/4 bar on the IV chord so we can match
the picture!!! Now, you not just "groovin" but thinking, how can I extend my
cool Big Walter lick into 7 beats as opposed to 4 beats.......that my
friends is called the "Studio Blues"....but never give up.......YOU can do
it!!!,if you practice!!!-))

      The more of these you do the better you get....I hope this is of some
help. An important piece of advice, try to 'screen' your calls for session
work, that is don't be afraid to ask the writer some questions, like is this
a specific written part? or are you looking for some improvised licks
etc....this way you can get a mental picture of how to prepare. Some times
they're willing to Fax you a "Lead Sheet" or even play you a bit over the
phone......this can save a lot of time at the session if you know what's
expected.

I hope this helps.....rob paparozzi

     Subject: RE: Reading for Shortharp