Re: Vintage JT-30

> Crystal elements don't last forever.  They're made of water soluble rochelle
> salts.  After a while, they absorb water, weaken, and eventually die.

A suggestion I heard someone attribute to Kim Wilson: When not actually using
them, keep your crystal mics and spare crystal elements in sealed Tupperware
or other airtight containers, with silica gel or other anti-humidity agents
in there.  Reusable air-drying packs are available from camera stores,
Micro-Mark, and other sources.  I've only been doing this since 1995 or so
and can't say how well it works over two or three decades, but at least I
feel like I'm trying and haven't lost any elements since 1995.  This is quite
a humid city year-round, too.

Stephen Schneider
Houston, TX