RE: Reading Music -- which sheets?

If you want to play written music by yourself, then read anything and 
everything that is written in treble clef. Most transposing instruments are 
transposed so that they fit neatly into the treble clef.
Reading different instruments charts will give you the same tune in 
different keys. Saxes all read down only to Bb below middle C, clarinets can 
have a lot going on in the octave below middle C. Most trumpet music in well 
within the treble clef.

If you are playing with other instruments---then that is a different story. 
Get the flute music, it doesn't transpose. Flute music can be very good 
practice for reading high ledger lines!

Michael Peloquin

>From: Jp Pagan <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx>
>hi all,
>  well, it's the holidays again, that time of year i
>try to teach myself some christmas music. i've been
>scouring the net for sheets on "let it snow" and
>"sleigh ride" and i've noticed that the sheets come
>written for many different instruments: piano, voice,
>flute, tenor sax, trumpet, etc. now, i know some of
>these are transposing instruments (like the sax and
>trumpet) and some sheets come with pretty complex
>arrangements (like piano) and i'm wondering which is
>right for the harmonica player? i've been using the
>"voice" sheets. but i thought the flute sheets should
>work too (they're in C, right?) -- but they're
>  so... should harmonica players learn to use the
>sheets of some specific instrument, or voice, or what?
>(by the way, i use a diminished tuned chromatic and i
>play all keys on the one harp. i read a little in C
>and that's it, though Eb would work just as well).
>    thanks,
>            --Jp

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6 
months @ $9.95/month now!

This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and MHonArc 2.6.8.