Re: Chromatic for bluesmen

> >  Hi all
> >  Let me ask 2 questions about blue on chromatic:
> >
> >  regarding model: Hohner CX models are very expensive (counting that I
> wanna
> >  buy chromatic just to goof with it) so think its better for me to
> >  get Herring Special... Isn't it?

Well, here is my 2c worth....
I think the CX-12 is GREAT for blues. Available in most keys, and if you
really want, a good harp tech can provide you with a "retuned" CX-12 harmonica for
any of the other keys that are not available from stock. However, I tend to
use Hohner 270's (Super Chromonica) 3 octave chroms. Why? I like the square
holes in the mouthpiece! OK, sometimes the mouthpieces need to be modified to
remove any sharp edges, but I LIKE the 270... I love the tone and the general
feel of that particular harmonica. Perhaps it is simply because I've been playing
them for so very many years!
As for the Herring special, it is a good instrument, and very good value, but
I MUCH prefer the Hohner tone, which to my ears is more mellow (your mileage
might vary)... Buy one and try it! Buy a 270 and compare it... Buy a CX-12 and
see if you like that better.
I also play an ILUS "Renaissance", now fitted with 1950's N.O.S. "Silver
Concerto" reed plates in the key of "C" , this is absolutely marvellous, but I
can't afford to buy a full set of 12 of them :-) If you want the best go for a
"Renaissance"...
Best wishes
John Walden
London