FW: (singin, jammin) Why not just call them "Guitar Jams"

I know most inexperienced harmonica players don't want to hear it, but it's
quite true.  A lot of new
INEXPERIENCED players overplay.  It's like the only thing they hear is their
harmonica.  The thing to remember
is that there are other musicians on the stage, and they need their space.
At high volume, you can't play
constantly like Muddy's harpers did with their little 5 watt amps.  We have
to find our spots, and make sure
they don't interfere.

If you like to play constantly, try an acoustic jam.  If you bring a small
amp, you can have the best of both
worlds.

As we gain experience, we learn to work with the band.

To turn the tables and see things from the other point of view, how would
you feel if the singer sang or
talked over your solo?  "But that's boring - I can't just stand around
during all those long, long soloes".
;-)

But an experienced pro singer won't do that.

Now - with that out of the way, there are things we can do that will fit and
yet not get in the way.  Do you
know your music theory, and understand chords, rhythms, and such?  If so,
you can lightly comp chords (at a
reduced volume) when needed.  If the guitarist isn't doing very many fills,
you can add a few, especially if
you can do them tastily.

Yes, it may require a little restraint on our part.  But if we find ways to
make the MUSIC better, we'll find
that we're welcomed more often to sit in, and maybe we'll start getting
calls to come and sit in, or join the
band, or for sessions, etc.

LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://d852737.u327.webnewport.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
Live video of IronMan http://www.studiocam.org/rplayer/rplayermc56.htm

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
2nd & 4th Sunday, after football (9ish), The Crest, Torrance
Last SUN, LARHA HarpJam, Tia Juanas, Irvine