Re: What to do when it's too loud

<quote>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:51:48 -0600
From: Howard Chandler <chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: What to do when it's too loud

I carry a handfull of industrial yellow foam earplugs in my harp case.
Sometimes the sight of these things sticking out of my ears gets folks
to turn it down a bit.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, I'm not going
to lose any more hearing.

What do y'all do?
</quote>

Since I got my third and hardest whack to the back of my head, my doctors
suggested I could reduce fatigue and antisocial irritability by wearing ear
plugs.  Now I don't go anywhere without them.

I buy silicon putty earplugs which are very effective at cutting down noise,
but too effectively to get up in a jam, and also they need to be replaced
often.

I also keep a pair of industrial rubber ribbed earplugs in my pocket all the
time.   It brings down loud venues to conversation level from my point of
view, and enables me to hear myself when playing harmonica or sax on stage -
even if no one else can.  :)

I think that the average volume levels in public venues is criminal.
They're banning smoking in public bars and pubs in this country for the sake
of everyone's health over the next year, I hope they start banning music
over 80 decibels in public venues for the sake of everyone's health as well.

I know that decades ago the technology just wasn't available to induce
bleeding ears and noses, but at least the music was really good and relied
on tone and musicality to build up tension and excitement instead of
excessive volume.   For goodness sake, the human ear cannot possibly hear
the dynamics anywhere between 90dB and 120+dB and yet, thats the level I
hear a lot of guys playing.  There is so much more contrast and available
dynamics between 50dB and 80dB why not capitalise on it?

  Its like standing behind a Boeing jet engine at times.

GRumble grubLE..
- -- G.