Re: Why not just call them "Guitar Jams"

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Frank Turina wrote:

(Snip...)

"the host came up to the guitarist and said he was doing a
 good job 'drowning out the harp player'.")

 and

 "I'm not just writing to whine. I won't go back there, but  I love
playing and I'm not going to quit."

Exactly.  I can't tell you how many musicians I've interviewed who were,
at one time or another, motivated (double-time) by people dissing them.
Gary Primich told me Louis Meyers once told him he sucked
(I'm paraphrasing) and although it hurt bad, his resolve to learn/improve
turned steely.  Later, he went back for respect...and got it.  So this
dis-respect we've all felt one time or another is a motivating force -- to
we stubborn types...and musicians (it seems to me) have to have a certain
amount of that just to get by in this business.  I ain't saying it's right
- -- just motivating.

I also thought it was funny that the writer of this post complained about
being dissed by electric guitarists with the phrase "they stuck me with an
acoustic guitarist."

Cathi N.