Re: Why not just call them "Guitar Jams"

Frank Turina wrote:

> I floundered trying to play first position and third position to accompany
> his minor keys.  I'm just starting to get comfortable in Cross Harp.  (After
> the first song, the host came up to the guitarist and said he was doing a
> good job "drowning out the harp player.")  It wasn't fair to me or the
> guitar player, who was very good.

Based on the above self assessment, you probably didn't do very well.  If
you are just starting to get comfortable in cross harp then you are not
really ready to add much to the music.  If you doubt your contribution think
about what others heard.  Some people will be more blunt about this than
others.  You should tape your jams so you have an objective experience of
them.   What you hear inside your head is not what the tape hears.

Even for you though Jam's are a great place to learn.  I am comfortable in
cross harp but still suck.  My suckiness is endemic I suck at what ever I
do.  But still I can improvise a melody and stay in key.  If there is a good
bass and drummer I can even follow the beat.  I have a friendly bunch of
guys I jam with but if I screw up they make faces.  Especially as I have
gotten better they expect more of me.  And vis-versa, guitar players can
suck too.

Jam's are great learning experiences and fun to boot.  Find people your
comfortable with.  And practice alone between jams.  A lot of progress can
be made through practice even if you suck, like me.  That way each week you
have something new to add to the jam and it will be appreciated.

Man, I wish I had time to follow my own advice.

Sam