Re: Help with harmonic minor tuned harps

Mark wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting myself a harmonic minor tuned harp or two
> in order to explore some of the local gypsy music here in Prague. I
> know the Lee Oskar HM harps are labled in "straight harp," but
> should I select the harp key based on the song key as I would with
> cross harp? In other words, do I use a D harp for the key of A, a C
> harp for key of G, an E harp for the key of B, etc.? Or is this
> stuff usually played straight harp only?

I did a tune with Ed Kliman on the Harp-l IV CD compilation (while
we're on the subject) that used a harmonic minor in straight harp
(key of A) for the tag line, and the solo was performed on a natural
minor in cross harp (based on a D harp to play in A).  This worked
really well for me on that tune.  You can check out a low-fi
(RealAudio) version here: http://tymoyer.home.texas.net/cometome.ram

I have a bunch of harps tuned this way, although I don't play them
much.  Nice sound.

- -tim