Re: Pro Junior sighting

You shouldn't have to throw out a PCB (printed circuit board) based amp
unless you did something really obscene to it (such as a total meltdown,
etc.).

While more fragile than point to point wired amps, PCB based gear is also
pretty easy to fix, usually by reheating the solder joints (although this
can be a tedious job).  Sometimes you need to repair loose solder pads by
bridging them with pieces of wire.

They can be modified for better mechanical stability (reinforce the tube
socket and heavy component mounts, etc.)  If you're a little ambitious, you
could totally rebuild the amp using point to point wiring.  If it were my
project, though, I'd simply remove all heavy components and tube sockets
from the PCB, mount these in a metal chassis, then hardwire these to the
PCB, and finally, reinforce and shock mount the PCB.

Make sure you totally discharge capacitors before working on a tube amp.
Even if the amp has been totally unplugged from the wall for several days,
the caps can still hold a lethal charge.

PCB amps are cheaper because they can be machine-assembled and cranked out
much more quickly.  Point to point wiring is done mostly by hand, which is
of course labor intensive and expensive.  I used to build Heathkits, and a
project with the complexity of a typical guitar type amp would require
several days assembly time, even for an experienced builder like myself.

As far as sound differences between PCB and hardwired, as long as everything
is properly assembled and the PCB is firmly mounted to minimize vibration,
there's no reason one should sound any different from the other.  The tubes
and parts used will be the major factors in sound quality.

BTW some LIVE tunes by The IronMan Curtis BonTemps Blues Band:
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/WalkingToNewOrleans.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/YouAreSoBeautiful.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/ironman/PrettyWoman.mp3
http://www.billhouse.com/songs/StormyMonday.mp3
(and - hint hint - we're looking to tour)

Health care for blues musicians?  Sign the petition!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/qd3d2222/petition.html

- -IronMan Mike Curtis http://www.ironmancurtis.com *Southland Blues Magazine
http://www.SouthlandBlues.com TU 8pm jam Starboard Attitude, Redondo pier
Santa Monica 3rd St Promenade, various times   Email my Cellphone
for specifics (130 chr's max-keep it SHORT) ironmancNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxx