Re: What about song writing?

In a message dated 4/18/03 10:34:06 AM, mlpratt@xxxxxxx writes:

> Has anybody in Harp-
> L land actually written a song?  Tell us about your experience.  How did it
> happen?

   About 15 or so years ago, I tried to get serious about songwriting for a
few years. If I learned one thing, it's that songwriting is hard. Oh, it's
not so hard to write a song, but it's damn hard to write a good one.
   I likened it to playing harp. It's not so hard to get something resembling
music out of a harp fairly easily, but taking it to the level that some of
the people on this list have, well that's another story.
   Did I actually write a song? Yes, I suppose I have written a handful that
I would allow someone to listen to... and I have bits and pieces of lyrics
yet stashed away. I was writing primariliy country songs, because that's my
natural feel, and I attended songwriting seminars, went to Nashville, got
acquainted with some good songwriters, tried to study the whole thing, etc.
    For me, the lyrics are where it's at, but others tell me they get the
melody first. If I can get lyrics, a melody will usually follow. I once heard
that Dylan, when he was beginning, would take famiiar songs and use the
melodies, but rewrite the words, then he would change the melody after the
words were done.   And the working title for the Beatle's "Yesterday" was
"Ham and Eggs" until they came up the real words....
   So, I would say that songs are written in many different ways. I know some
Nashville songwriters just go to work every day and churn out stuff. I also
know that some of the biggest hits were not considered to be that great,
until the public showed that they liked it.
   Personally, I consider songwriting a "gift", just like musicianship. Sure,
  anyone can learn   how to play music if they are persistent enough, but
some people just seem to find in naturally.

My two pennies worth....

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp