breathing gizmo = incentive spirometer

A device called an incentive spirometer seems to meet the description. They are
used in every hospital in post-op patients to promote lung expansion.  Breathing
is painful for patients with abdominal or chest incisions so they take shallow
breaths and the lungs are incompletely expanded.   Poor lung expansion
predisposes to pneumonia and and impairs gas exchange.   The spirometers are
disposable plastic and typically have floating ball flow indicators.  I bet they
are available from medical supply places that sell crutches, dressing materials
etc.

Jim R