re: how much for a gig?

I have two bands. The Electric Starlight Space Animals haven't ever had a
paying gig. We have way too much fun and play all originals. We like playing
for benefits.This isn't all bad. We play a lot for high school kids, an
audience we never get at the bars, so it's fun. Gives us a chance to
encourage the kids to play too. Oh yeah, we only know 10 songs-hard to
stretch that too far.

The Cooper Hill Band tries to get at least $50.00 a piece, plus 3 free beers
and dinner if we can possible push for it. We used to play 2-3 weekends a
month all summer, but most of the bars have closed. On a good day the band
can fake 30-50 songs plus we usually sneak Wooly Bully in at least twice.

Of course we've played free at wedding because the bride smiled sweetly,
played free at parties because it looked like fun, etc. We're easily conned.
If a bar wants us to play from 8pm to 1 am, with two short breaks and really
put on a show, well that's a lot of work. That requires a lot of planning
and effort so we like to get paid. If it's a party, we like to get gas money
for the drummer plus we're more relaxed, longer breaks, the band (except for
me, I'm always the driver) is more liquored up. We usually either forget the
set list or lose it. Remember the tee shirts and CDs. We never have, but we
will one of these days. Oh yeah, try and organize a mailing list. We have
one with 10 names on it. I mailed everyone on the list some band comics last
Christmas.

If you haven't gigged regularly, a full night can be draining, especially if
you're dancing and putting on a show. I'm usually wiped the next day, and I
don't drink. It's a lot of fun.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals