Re: An Evening with Magic Dave (long)

In the summer of 1998 I had just started building a couple of harps for
customers (Kenny Johnson, you listening?) when I got a request for a Bb T-Bone
from Magic Dave.  I built the harp and let him know it was ready, then heard
from him that he had lost his job.  Feeling like a guy who was down on his luck
could really use a good harp to play the blues, I sent the T-Bone to Dave
without payment.  Dave, who at the time was very active on harp-l, wrote a
review of the harp that prompted 13 orders in the next week!  That's a testament
to the influence he had on list readers at the time.  I really credit Dave and
his great review of my harp for getting Working Man's Harps off the ground.

I, too, miss his contributions to this list.  Dave was responsible for a lot of
innovation, and his incredibly long and detailed post on waxing harp combs
inspired me and others to begin offering this customization.  Dan Todd of
Honeybee harps is a good friend of Dave's as well.

It's good to hear that Dave is thriving and getting out.  I only wish I was
closer to Colorado to be able to meet him in person and to hear his legendary
playing (I only have the too-brief sample from Harp-l IV).  Thanks for the great
review and wonderful story of your night on the town, Ken, and if you bump into
Dave again tell him I said "Hey!" and "Thanks!"

- -tim