Re: Tongue Block Bends

It takes a LOT of practice to do TB bending proficiently, meaning bends
that are clean and in pitch.  Having said that, I would offer a few tips
to point you in the right direction.

1.  Resist the temptation to use your mouth to assist in the bend.  Proper
    TB bends are created very far back in the throat.

2.  Try to get as much of the harp in your mouth as you can.  This helps
    the in bending by ensuring an airtight seal between your mouth and the
    harp.  If you are leaking air, this technique will be much more
    difficult.  I also feel that this improves tone.

3.  Try practicing with a chromatic tuner.

4.  PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.  This is a difficult technique and really
    takes quite some time to master.  Persistent practice and good ears
    will
    get you there, but like so many techniques on the harp, there are no
    shortcuts.

Good luck,

R.S