Re: Feedback and Butterfield recordings

> ...  In my opinion the jury is still out on Lo-Z mics.  There are some pro
> players who use them, but most of those guys play through silver face
> Fenders--Supers or Twins--where they really seem to work well.

I've found that hi-Z mics require hi-Z input impedance and work poorly
into lo-Z inputs; but lo-Z mics will usually work fine into a higher
impedance.  Where you "lose" is in the field of sensitivity.  A lo-Z mic
has less output voltage than a hi-Z, and therefore requires greater
amplifier voltage gain for the same power out.

If you havbe a lo-Z mic and want to run it through a guitar or bass amp
(all of which are hi-Z), simply buy a mic transformer.  Although Radio
Shack sells these, and the RS model works well, the Shure transformer is
demonstrably better.  Shure also includes a variety of adaptors in one
of their transformer kits.

 -- mike