Re: Tuning questions and some more besides ...

The reeds that tune up fine then go flat ten minutes later are broken.
The actual reed is cracked towards the fixed end.  It's nothing you did
wrong.  Metal fatigue has finally taken its toll.  What's interesting
about this is that if you keep playing the note it keeps dropping in
pitch until it hits the value of the blow note in the same hole.  As for
tuning to an accurate value I don't have any trouble using the tuner I
use.  It resolves to 10 cents in even 10 cent increments from -50 to +
50.  There is a lot of variation with breath pressure.  Being able to get
consistent results and even breath is part of the art.  Putting the cover
plates back om almost always sharps the harmonicas up a bit.  It's very
consistent though so that isn't a problem for me.  As for replacing reeds
the only place I've seen that has any equipment for sale is Farrell's in
the U.S.A.  Joe Filisko replaces reeds and would probably talk to you
about technique if asked politely.  FJM