"Pop Culture"

g/mail/postponed-mail/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII

Alright...now I know the full moon was LAST week, but over recent hours
I've seen posts addressing my comments by "Vlad the Impaler" and "Lurch"
(the latter of whom I in no way meant to imply was "profoundly base"--you
will get it in a minute, Mike).  Then, I found a message I thought MUST
logically be related, as it referred to "subhuman speech".  However, it
was on another list to which I subscribe, Photo-L, involving photography.
The thing is that it began as a humorous thread regarding Wisconsinian
dialect which has NOTHING to do with harps or cameras!  And now, I must
apologize to all, but I just had to pass along this interesting (to me
anyway) tidbit discussing the origin of the words "soda pop".
                              ^^^^^^               ^^^^^^^^
(To Chris P., I promise not to make a habit of this silliness, honest!)

Anyway, please indulge me a moment and get a load of this:

>> Yah, we Wisconsinites do talk funny.  Most people get a drink from a
>> water fountain...but in Wisconsin we drink from a bubbler.  Ever have a
>>soda?  In Wisconsin it's a pop.

>I know this is way off topic, but I can't resist.  The term soda-pop
>comes from the Codswolop Soda Pop Bottle.  The bottle was manufactured
>with a marble inside.  The marble is too big to come out through the
>opening.  After 'soda' (any carbonated drink) is placed inside the bottle
>it would be turned over and shaken gentle too create pressure.  The
>bottle could be turned over and wax added to make the seal long lasting.
>To open the bottle you would "Pop" the top and knock the marble into the
>bottle.  Hence Soda-Pop.
>
>My apologies if this thread offends for its irrelevance.

(me, too :)

Till next,
....Bobbie                 *Love to hear a reed that bends with the wind*