ALAN WILSON NON OVERBLOW

TO: INTERNET:HARP-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dan Day wrote:

      Just thought I'd point out that Alan Wilson does a 6-hole
      overblow in his solo from "On the Road Again",

Sorry, Dan. I've listened to this verrry carefully, and it's not
an overblow (you're not the first to bring this up). Close
listening reveals that that draw 6 reed was filed up a semitone.
Listen to how he bends DOWN from the minor third to the second
degree of the scale. Can't do that with an overblow. Listen to
how he plays that minor third and then rips across Draw 5 and
Draw 4. Easy and natural if that minor third is a draw 6, clumsy
and unnatural if it's an overblow.

And no, he doesn't bend it up. With an overblow that would push
it up from a minor third to a major third and a fourth. But we
never hear those notes. He bends it down from a minor third to a
major second and then releases it upward. This is consistent with
a raised draw 6 but inconsistent with an overblow.

I like Blind Owl's playing a lot; he was one of my early
influences. Technique aside, he played *telepathically*.

Winslow Yerxa