Misc. - New Chro, Madcat CD, Stuff

    SUBJECT: New Chromatic

    I mentioned a while back that this was coming - well, it's here.

    Hering (Brazil) Has a new 64 - 16 hole chromatic out. Designated the model
    601/64. Name on coverplate is - HERING'S DELUXE CHROMATIC 64.

    Excerpts from Farrell flier - Included with recent orders.
    Plastic Comb. Metal threads have been installed in the comb for cover
    plate, and mouthpiece attachment. The reed plates also have four screws
    installed which draw the reed plates tight against the comb, making the
    harmonica very air tight.

    $89.00 + $2.00 UPS from F & R Farrell - extra reedplate sets are available
    for $38.00 /with instructions.

    Besides being very air tight, this harmonica will be easy to work on -
    tuning, tweeking reeds, replacing windsavers, etc. because you can take
    one cover and reed plate off without disturbing the other.

    Oh, BTW - the picture looks a ~lot~ like the Hohner Super 64. Coverplates
    are streamlined, sort of tapering at each end. I'll bet Hohner is ticked
    at yet another Hering rip-off - at least in appearance. I think
    construction of this harmonica may be superior to anything Hohner makes,
    very much like the Farrell 'Lifetime comb'. I'll have to see one to pass
    final judgment. In fact I think this is more of a copy of Farrell's idea,
    and probably with his blessing.

    Scrape, scrape, scratch - that's me getting quarters out of my harmonica
    jar. If I get one of these I will report further on it later. Hmmn, lets
    see, I have a birthday coming up. ;-)

    SUBJECT: Madcat CD - HARMONICOLOGY

    This recieved a lot of press on HARP-L and that's what prompted me to buy
    it. I don't recall anyone mentioning the great liner notes. Madcat gives a
    complete breakdown of each song - one section is a history of the song.
    The other section names harps used (brand), Key, Position, etc., for each
    song. Also if overdubbing was used (12 of 15 are) and information about
    other instruments on the album - Like the Jaw Harp (on the song, Caffeine,
    he uses 4 jaw harps for a basic rhythm track). Also used are Mbira
    (Kalimba, or African Thumb Piano). Madcat plays the Mbira and Jaw Harp
    tracks. Other artists play the Washboard, Drums & Percussion, and Bass -
    all properly credited. If you have this CD and haven't pulled the liner
    notes out of the jewel case, take a look at them. If you don't have this
    CD yet, have I tempted you?

    SUBJECT: JAZZIZ magazine

    The March '95 issue has about a five page story on Blues Harmonica greats.
    Also - a listing of the top 40 jazz albums lists Toots number 2. This
    issue may not be on the stands much longer - I just learned about it
    yeaterday. Cover is yellow with a guy in a blue shirt. Jazziz can be found
    in most major bookstores.

    SUBJECT: Columbus Dispatch Article 23-Mar-1995

    A local restaurant featuring live jazz music has open mic sessions every
    Tuesday night - I think it's called the Bexley Monk or something similar.
    The columnist writes...  "A world class harmonica player stops by every
    now and then, I can't think of his name right now". This was none other
    than Ron Kalina from LA. He is well known in jazz circles here in Columbus
    and when he walks into this restaurant they hand him the mic (open stage
    or not). The same is true of another Restaurant "94th Aero Squadron" which
    has a jazz big band every Thursday. Ron visits Columbus frequently, his
    wife's sister lives here - in fact his wife graduated from Ohio University
    which is in Southeastern Athens, Ohio - and Ron is originally from our
    neighbor state, Pennsylvania - so he has reason to come this way whenever
    possible. If anyone sees Ron, tell him he was mentioned in the Columbus
    Dispatch, not by name but we knew who they were talking about.  :-)

    									Jack