RE: How long till I can do this?

Subject: How long till I can do this?

>I have recently (last 6 months?) been bitten by the harp bug and can't
>seem to learn fast enough... 8<--- I like...SBW, Little Walter, Darrell
>Mansfield, etc... 8<--- Are there any "drills" that accelerate the ability to
>work the more effectively?  EG.  How "worth it" is it to do scales?  How
>important is it to know each note on the harp-ie., 4blow-c, 4draw-d, etc.?
8<---
>Joe McGettigan  215-537-4334

Hi Joe,

The books, tapes, videos are good. If you don't have Steve Baker's Harp
Handbook you might want to check it out. I think playing scales and drills are
important.  Here's my .02 worth of tips:

a) Learn to play the scale that lives in holes 4-7 of your diatonic fluently,
forward and backward. - this will be the major scale to which your harp is
tuned (for example, C). Now, Assuming you are bending or learning to bend notes
- play this same scale in holes 1-4 (this wil be the "C" scale except an octave
lower. This will require some draw bends but it can be done.

b) Learn the blues scale (2nd position) on your C harp - this will be G. I'm
sure this is covered in some of your books.

c) Learn other scales that can be found on your C harp. Like A minor, and I
think D minor. These may be referred to in your book as modes or modal scales.
Names like Dorian (sp?), Myxolodian (sp?).

d) Learn what chords live in your harmonica (C again). BLOW 3 or 4 holes
together ~anywhere~ on the harp and you get a C major cjord. DRAW on holes 1 -
3 together and you get a G chord.

e) Now look at your haarmonica tuning layout (in just about any book you might
have) and note which notes produced that C chord or that G chord. What chord do
you get when you DRAW holes 7 - 10 ?

Put all these in your daily exercise routine. Yes it is important to know what
notes you are playing - especially if you want to play blues or jazz. You need
to learn music theory. And a) through e) above are just a beginning in the
right direction. If you are going to practice an hour a day, then practice
intelligently. Fifteen minutes of proper practice is better than two hours of
~bad~ practice. That's not to say you shouldn't give yourself some "fun" time
or jamming every day. This is good to keep the interest up. Try to put together
a regimen which will review and improve what you have learned as well as add a
new challenge. Later on pick up a music theory book - there is a very good,
self paced instruction book on theory - can't think of the name right now.

One more thing. Get involved with a club. Although I don't see any listed in
your (S.E. Pennsylvania) area. Go to a harmonica festival, Subscribe to HIP,
Mississippi Saxophone, or AHN. Write SPAH and see if they  know anyone in your
area who can help you. It's good to rub elbows with other harmonica players.

[I tried not to give any mis-information here, if I have made any theory
mistakes, flame away HARP-Lers].  (8+)
									Jack