How long till I can do this?

I have recently (last 6 months?) been bitten by the harp bug and can't
seem to learn fast enough...I wanna play this thing real bad and really
envy those who can...(even those playing "cheesy" rifs in commercials 8->)
I play whenever I get the chance...comes out to maybe an hour a day +
or -. Got a few tapes...a couple books...listen to a few players I
like...SBW, Little Walter, Darrell Mansfield, etc...  Every once in a while
I fall into a "zone" and feel like I'm sounding like something real, but for
the most part...  How long should it take before things really start to click?
Maybe not even a fair question due to all variables but are there any rules
of thumb?  Are there any "drills" that accelerate the ability to work the
more effectively?  EG.  How "worth it" is it to do scales?  How important
is it to know each note on the harp-ie., 4blow-c, 4draw-d, etc.?  Bottom
line question...how does a rank beginner get past that...and what landmarks
let you know that you are actually moving on?  I'd be interested to hear
some of the experienced folks give their "greatest hits" of tips for
bringing a beginner out of the beginner stage...  Thanks ahead!

Joe McGettigan
215-537-4334
Internet-SCAJMZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Views expressed solely mine-Rohm & Haas takes no resposibility for them.