Re: Soaking test results

> Very good discussion of decibels, a very potentially confusing subject.
>
> ONe clarification:  when dealing with acoustical measurements, especially
> sound level meters, we are measureing a thing called Sound Pressure Level
> (SPL), which is actually based on the ratio of two sound pressures, the
> reference pressure being 0.0002 dyne/cm^2, about the threshold of hearing
> for most folk.  dBm is actually used more for electronics.
>
> Sorry, I'm an acoustical consultant, can't resist...

Hi Scott - and thanks for the correction.  Yes, it does make more sense to
use an "ear-related" constant than what would be an arbitrary one dealing
with the phone company.

Is there be a particular "dB*" designation for this, showing that it's
referenced to .0002 dyne/cm^2?

Once again, thanks for this information - and if I make other misteaks,
feel free to correct them, and if pertinent, share them with the group.
One of my goals is to have accurate knowledge in all things.  Perhaps not
a realistic goal, but a goal nonetheless.

 -- mike