Re: Harps and Commericals

At 11:38 AM 3/22/95, Thomas Hinkle wrote:
>Sorry I ever used the word "exploitive", I didn't mean to, strike it from
>the record.  My point is that it is peculiar that harps show up more in
>commercials than everywhere else, and my complaint is that if I could
>choose where harp should show up, it wouldn't be in commercial music,
>which, no offense to those of you who make the stuff, isn't exactly the
>highest calibur.

I've heard some pretty cool licks in dog food commercials. And $200-500 is
a nice chunk o' change for 15 minutes work.

I was surprised that no one addressed the issue of why the harmonica has
become so popular with advertising types. I don't know the answer but I can
guess.

The harmonica's frequency content is very similar to that of the human
voice. This is why harmonica needs to be applied carefully while singing is
in progress. The harp will mask the vocals. And when the harp "moans", it
has a certain appeal to humans. I've seen some of the worst harp playing
get major audience ovations. The timbre of the harp has mass appeal. I
believe it has an effect that on a sub-conscious level. And Madison Avenue
knows this.

Rkt