Re: Valves/Windsaversand serious music

At 10:06 PM 3/22/95 -0800, Mikewrote:
>[lots of good stuff bobbited]

I'm not trying to start a religious jihaad.  You just pushed my button
claiming that "serious" music can only be played on a diatonic if it's
valved (or words to that effect).

Color me stupid, but if I want a valved harp with a fully chromatic range to
play "serious" music on, I grab a chromatic.  Just blow, suck and twiddle
the button - no icky bending to worry about.

To me the whole point of a diatonic is the ability to be slick and
chromatic, or honk and wail like a bad dog.  I've yet to hear any valved
diatonic playing that cuts my heart out or turns my knees to water just from
the sheer tone of it.

Maybe not enough people have invested the time in them, but my gut feeling
is that the valves change the characteristics of the instrument and take
away that raw, bleeding edge when you need it.

I'll shut up now.

   -- hugh
--
Hugh Messenger - VP and Systems Admin - Net Results Inc.
In mourning for the recent death of his Mac PowerBook.