Re: House of Blues-Traveler

g/mail/postponed-mail/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII

Quote Harvey Andruss [March 20,1995]:
 >Blues Traveler appeared on the 1/2 hour cable TV broadcast of House of
 >Blues -- New Orleans on TBS this weekend.

Was a traveler myself Friday night when I also saw them on TV.  In Atlanta
for my in-laws 50th anniversary, I promised my mate and son that I'd "keep
it down" in our Hampton Inn room, but I planned to stay up and watch.
This was a group I'd not heard of [no lie--so flame me] before reading of
them on Harp-L.

 >It was a very dexterous performance to say the least (lots of speed,
 >very dense in the number of notes per measure), they were tight, and they
 >do like to jam (very spirited) -- however, the debate for me is still on
 >how interesting it all is (note choice, why so many and the same sequences).
 >A bit of the shred mentality, if you ask me.

Somewhere back on the list I seem to remember this debate...energized and
vitality -vs- repetitive and pretentiousness.  Understandable.  Sometimes
Popper's style of play did begin to remind me of why Kenny G grates on my
nerves.

 >He used a Shure 58 lookin' thing, two homebrew red switches and a volume
 >pot all taped up thru the bottom of the mike.

Yeah, with a vocal mike and harp in hand, too!  He had all of it taped up
and loaded into a cable snake or something--good idea.

 >They *DID* play a blues number, "Rock Me Baby", with Ackroyd (sp?) sitting
 >in -- it was a OK but this rendition didn't do much for me.  Dan came off
 >as too much of a goof with his Elwood two-step from 15 years ago.

Poor Dan...they keep dragging him out for this fluff.  The regenerative
power of the Blues Bros. thing astounds me...we have a local band that
does a "Blues Brothers Revue" add-on to their act.  Give us a break and
put a cork in it, already!!!

Till next,                                          /be as a reed......\
....Bobbie                                          \bend with the wind/