Re: 11th position

or less than the relative minor of second position.  Most of the time,
when we cross-harp, we're flatting the third right into the tonic of 11th
position - so a lot of you "cross harp only" guys are actually playing
11th position licks right now!

In my opinion, the big "trick" to 11th position is mastering hitting the
11th tonic (Bb on a C harp) already bent.  I try to prebend to A, then
release up to Bb, which gives a more pleasing sound to my ear in many
cases.  It's also easier than holding a prebend.  A little diaphragm
vibrato helps mellow this note.

I also find it very advantageous to have the extra bends available on a
valved harp.  You can get these using overblows, too.  For blues, the
natural 7th (Ab) is invaluable in the 2nd and 3rd octaves.  Of course, you
can just use the natural 7th for a lot of stuff if windsavers and
overblows aren't your cup of tea.  It's just one more caracteristic of a
different position.

 -- mike