Re: ----- I suck, I tell you, I suck. ------

Mark,

I wouldn't let this stuff get to me too badly.  Here are some of my more
memorable negative experiences (which include no electrocution stories.)

When I was first learning to play,  I would regularly go down to Kingston
Mines in Chicago on Monday nights.  It was hosted by Sugar Blue.  At that
time,  there were very few harp players sitting in.  It seemed like I would
always immediately follow Sugar Blue or I would preceed him taking the stage.
After finishing playing I would experience the same feeling you described in
addition to shall we say "intestinal rapid transit."  For some strange reason,
I would continue this same pattern week after week.  People would come up to
me and tell me they enjoyed the performance (still don't know whether they
meant the harp playing or my being bent over as a result of stomach cramps. :-))
(BTW,  Sugar Blue was a great guy.  He returned my Hohner 2016 CBH chromatic
after I accidently left it on the bandstand.)

There is nothing quite like the feeling of having James Cotton walk into a
club while your are playing,  "Juke" and two tunes later having him blow a
wicked version of "The Creeper".  That felt like a good old fashioned ass
whippin'.

One other night,  I went to a club on a jam night.  I was feeling all jittery.
After experiencing the same feelings,  I took to the stage with the band.  I
blew what I thought had been the performance of a lifetime only to have a
friend say,  "Man I could barely hear you play."

Then there was the time,  a group of friends (that I would regularly sit
in with) lost a gig to an accordian playing, Elvis-impersonating one man band.
So needless to say,  I sat in with him and a Hendrix lookalike/soundalike.
That must have been the funniest version of "King Bee" ever played,  but the
crowd was really into it.  I would have loved to have heard a tape of that
tune.

One time I played a festival with a rock/blues band and I had a couple of
intoxicated folks tell me that I sounded just like Larry Adler and that
I should lose this band.  At that time,  I didn't know who Larry Adler was
so I just said thanks.  I couldn't tell if I sounded awful that day not being
able to hear a note above the droning guitarist.  (BTW,  I didn't get paid.)

Then there was a time, I stopped by Wise Fools Pub to see a friend playing.
I hadn't picked up a harp in nearly four years and got called up on stage to
play a couple of tunes.

All of these "performances" have been forgotten except by me.

We have a tendency to be our own harshest critics,  fortunately alcohol
makes everyone sound like {insert size here} Walter to the casual listener
(except for me,  I sound a lot like Larry Adler. :-))

Cheers,

Joe

P.S. How do ya hold a harp,  ionizer,  and a bullet mike?