Re: A beginner's question (for a change)

Hi Max,

On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Max Froumentin wrote:

	[...]

> So I will start by asking why do
> some (most?) of you seem to prefer cross-harp to first position. I
> guess something must balance the missing notes but I haven't found
> what.

	What I am going to say about this is from my veiw point as a
folk musican and NON blues player. I expect to get shot down in flames
for it also. :-) :-)

	The second position (Key G on a C harp, I belive) is used *mainly*
for blues. It allows you to to draw bend (more on bending notes soon) the
low notes of the harp. This gives the "wailing and dirty" blues harp sound
you may be familiar with.

If you do not intend to play blues, you may not feel the need to use
second position (cross harping).

The bending of the notes will allow you to reach those missing notes in
the second position, that you mentioned.

Note: Unless you want to get into overblowing (and I for one DON'T)
you will only be able to bend notes DOWNWARDS.

It has been said, rather unfairly, that playing in first position sounds
unbearably *jolly* and *cheerfull*

However a huge number of folk tunes and (many popular ones too) are
played in first position.

For folk music (I really mean English folk music here, it's what I know best))
you will find that cross harping is used for the tunes that tend to
sound more wistfull (sad). By far the most common key for these *modal*
tunes is Dm on a C harp. (There are other common modes for folk, but it's
not relevent here.)

I ought to point out that some people would prefer me to have said that
you play them in DORIAN mode (Dm (ish) in a C harp. I have to say that,
folk flame me if not.:-)

As a working musician however, many of the profesional folk musicans I
work with, will refer to this sort of playing as being in Dm.
It's a good, basic working reference anyway.

And I have found it worthwhile learning to bend *some* of the notes on
the harp. (I still cannot bend draw holes two and three.)The occasional
bend can add lilt, movement and life to many dance tunes. Irish
traditional dance music lends itself to bending notes very nicely.

Well, that's it from me. At least you will see that the harp list is not
*entirely* composed of blues manics! (sorry all) heheheheheh.

> PS. if what I just said is completely stupid or rude, consider it as an
>     improper use of English :-)

	Don't worry about your use of English Max. As an Englishman I
can tell you it's just fine. And a lot better than my French!
It's no good asking all our American readers about your English.:-)

As the writer George Bernard Shaw said, "England and America are two
countries separated by a common language."

I have a great deal of American friends, and all I can say to that is....

	AMEN!

Have fun,
Gordon

	  ****This computer works perfectly until accessed.****