RE: Remember Melodicas?

Jim C writes...  >Remember Melodicas?

FJM beat me to this one - but here's what I know about the subject, which was
very little until I pulled the Hohner price sheet.

>Maybe I've spelled it wrong but do any of you remember an instrument called a
>Melodica?  Perhaps I shouldn't write of them in the past tense but it has
>been some years since I've seen them for sale.   8<---

Spelling is correct. - The Hohner price list (dated 1993, in Farrell's catalog)
lists six models...
HM-900	Soprano			$ 70.95 |
HM-901	Alto			  81.95 |
HM-26	Piano 26 (soprano)	 110.95 |--Note from Farrell at top of page...
HM-27	Piano 27 (alto)		 116.95 |  "Request prices for items on
HM-32	Piano 32		 136.95 |   this page".
HM-36	Professional 36		 299.50 |

I think they used to have a bass model - I don't think it is one of the above.

I would assume these are special order items - doubtful you would see any in
the music stores today.

The melodicas have harmonica type reeds in a wind chamber. You supply air by
blowing through a mouthpiece. Notes are played by pressing piano-like keys.

I have what I think is a Soprano - probably the HH-900. It is red, seems to be
well constructed (I.e., not toy like). The keys are small. The more expensive
models, as I recall have nice piano keys.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx