Re: FTP for...(ask Jack Ely)

From: haandruss@xxxxxxx (Harvey Andruss)

>Ask Jack Ely about his toots hard bopper plates on the Farrel screwed down
>lifetime plastic comb (reeds screwed down also).  I think these go for
>around $200, but you have to wait in line behind Meurkens and a few other
>big guys.

I got my customized Toots Hardbopper in January - didn't play it (or anything
else) much until mid February due to recurring bouts with the flu.

[I didn't get the reeds screwed down option so cost was a little less than
$200, I think it was $165 or $167].

I was never a big fan of 12 holers - I prefer a 16. But, I love this harmonica
and have been playing it more and more. Some features & my impressions...

a) The slide is silky smooth and quiet.
b) The response is great across the whole range of the harmonica.
c) You can attack the notes, if you wish, and they "bark".
d) You can play it sweet and with feeling (vibrato) if you like.
f) Farrell's workmanship is first class.
g) Much more power than any 260, 270 I have ever played.
h) Two brass cover plate jacks on each side.
i) Can remove one reed plate without disturbing the other.
j) Mouthpiece, Cover Plates, Reed Plates all fastened with stainless steel
   bolts into s/s threads embedded into the comb.

 The harmonica is airtight - the feel is like a 270 (actually the basis for
this harmonica anyway) - but there is a difference - the reeds are actually a
little thicker. I have never played a factory Toots Hard Bopper so can't
compare there.

--- Before you go for a Hard Bopper you might want to check your options with
Farrell. I think you could go (1) straight factory, (2) bolted on reed plates
on original wood comb - includes treating the wood and smoothing the slide
operation, (3) Lifetime comb (4) Lifetime comb, reeds fastened w/nuts & bolts.
As Harvey stated there is a long waiting list.

       Jack Ely - Columbus, Ohio  --Internet--> IMS_ELY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx