Re: shaker mics

On Wed, 1 Mar 1995, Scott Shepard wrote:

> I have continual feedback problems with my shaker mic.  Seems
> like I can't get it above the second notch on the volume control
> without it howling unless I get too far away to hear it above the
> stage volume.
>
> Do I need to:
> 	cup it differently (more airtight),
> 	play harder,
>       or get the band to turn down?

Are you using a guitar amplifier? If so, I'd suspect the pre-amp tubes if
you don't have the amp cranked up very loudly. Turn on your amp and tap
on each pre-amp tube (they're the little ones). If you hear a loud
"thump" through your speakers, the tube is microphonic and should be
replaced. Microphonic pre-amp tubes are very common (especially in this
era of suckola pre-amp tubes).