Tuning

Thanks for a very interesting post on tuning Rick.  Like Zanussi, the appliance
of science!

The problem is the same for chromatic players who work with orchestras, or
string groups or wind groups.  Each have their own intonation problems!.
Trouble is that although you #can# have several instruments tuned in different
ways it is inconvenient, and also they feel different.  The best idea (in the
'classical' field is to stick to one instrument.  Many players get  the
harmonica tuned a little sharp and play it into tune with the group they happen
to be with.  This isn't a conscious thing, it just happens with experience. (if
you listen to them that is!!)  Basically this is what most instrumentalists do.
I have known some pianists who insist they can alter the pitch of the notes they
play as well. (Psychology can make you believe anything, I think they need a
psychiatrist)

This is only a personal thing, but I have found that it is easier to start with
an instrument tuned a little sharp equal temperament.  I know this can release
the floodgates of numbers, cents + & -, but a' little sharp'  is what suits you
and how you play. Get into a close huddle with your tuner, better still, live in
your tuner's body, its easier that way.

Douglas T