Re: Notation/Sequencing Software

<Sequencer tip - don't overdo it)

Excellent tip!  With any new toy, the tendency is to overdo it.  Drum
machines are often complained about as being terrible when they're really
pretty decent when used tastefully.  Phil Collins used a roland TR-727 for
the intro on "In The Air Tonight".  When used properly, they're very
effective.

The trick with sequencers, drum machines, etc., is to keep it very simple,
and let the performers supply the entertainment rather than the machine.

These things were never intended to replace a live band, nor are they good
at this IMHO.  They WILL provide an adequate background for musician(s) and
singer(s).  But "background" is the key.  A simple drum pattern, simple bass
line, and light, simple background chords are the most effective use of
machines.  As the live musician, you are also the "star" of the show.  It
looks really bad to see one guy on stage and hearing an entire band.  Of
course, if you can stop playing on request and the music also stops, it no
longer looks as bad :-)  (I play harp, guitar, and bass pedals, and just use
a drum machine most of the time, and frequently am asked about "the
recording" - fortunately when I'm not using a sequence - so far :-)

The sequences I use mostly follow this - in fact, most are just bass and
drums (I'm playing chords on guitar.)  I have a couple where I sequence
chords, but these are barely audible.  On one tune (Whats Goin' On), I use a
"horn section" for the bridge, and to provide part of a harmony on the
refrain - my harmonica and guitar provide the other harmony parts.

 -- mike