Re: Music Score progams.

Hope some info here will be of help [Douglas and/or others], but my son's
the keyboardist, midi-composer, music score program user around here, not
moi, the "MIDIOT".  He loves his Encore program by Passport, which he runs
two synths on.  It gives up to 64-staff notation capability, and it can
transcribe as you play.  We have an IBM-compatible computer and run it with
Windows 6.0, but there is a Mac version [both versions share the same format
and are transferable across platforms.]  It requires DOS 3.1 or greater,
Windows 3.1 or greater, and a Windows-compatible mouse.  A midi-interface
is needed to engage external instruments, and we also use Sound Blaster 16.
It offers guitar tab up to 8 strings, any tuning.  There is automatic part
extraction for individual instruments, a percussion staff, and transposing
for different instruments.  There's also page layout control, TrueType and
PostScript support.  The printouts are very good looking, especially off a
laser printer, lyrics and all.  It comes with a 200 page reference manual,
and an abbreviated 48 page tutorial manual.  We got Encore 3 a couple years
ago, but have upgraded it to 4, which "lists" is just under $600.  [That's
US money, Doug...]  But, it should be had for under $400; one catalog price
I found is $325.

Passport also makes Music Time, which I believe allows you to record from
a midi instrument, displaying it with up to 64 staves on the screen.  Then
you may edit the music and record or play it back.  I'm not sure if it has
any printing capabilities.  It now comes with a built-in sequencer, and is
made for Mac or PC.  Prices I've seen are $169.-$179.

There's also Musicator Win Version 2.1, an "integrated sequencing and scoring
program for Windows."  It looks similar to Encore, works with all soundcards,
and can export notation to programs like PageMaker.  The manufacturer claims
it's "faster than Finale, kinder than Cakewalk, andd easier than Encore."
List is $299. and a $5 demo disk is available.  [1-800-551-4050; Tel/Fax:
510-251-2500; CompuServe: GO MCATOR - from the advertisement I saw.]

Opcode's Vision 2.0 is an award-winning music program, but is apparently
only for the Mac.  However, there is Opcode's Vision 1.4, which is for the
IBM PC.  I read it "includes graphic and list editing of all MIDI data, up
to 26 sequences per file, MIDI keys, instruments, faders, logical editing,
and full SMPTE support.  Supports compatible computers with 386 processor
or faster.  Runs under windows."  Price I saw: $211.

Well, that's all she wrote.  Hope there's some helpful info here.

  ##[[[ Bobbie ]]]##                                    *Harp Spoken Here*