Compression, valving

I agree with Douglas that a harmonica can have too much compression, limiting
freedom to maneuver, but this is not usually the case with factory-adjusted
instruments.  Allowance has to be made for hard-hitting players who would
choke a harp with high compression, so a medium tolerance is the standard
there.
This is why it is useful for a player to learn to adjust reeds to his or her
own style
of playing.

Valving is also related to a reed's freedom.  While valves are helpful for
compression,
particularly in harmonicas complicated by slides or double voicing, a reed
will
play easier when unimpeded by a reed valve.  A large, low-pitched reed needs
all
the air it can get, so the disadvantage of a valve next to it is more than
made up for
by the increase in airflow through valving its opposing reed.  However, one
experiences
a diminishing return from valves as one progresses up the scale.  Small reeds
require
less air, and a point is finally reached when the valve's liability exceeds
its benefit.
This is why the smallest reeds in harmonicas, accordions and such are not
valved.

                                                               Regards,
                                                               Rick Epping

p.s.  Please note my new address.  I was fiddling around and erased the old
one....
What a maroon!