Harp-L Tapes

Regarding the Harp-L tape:

We're putting together a tape of songs by Harp-L subscribers.  This is open
to all, from rank beginner to super-pro.

As Steve Jennings mentioned, I'll handle the tapes from the USA.  Send your
tape, with one song only, and I believe we had agreed on a maximum length of
around 6 or 8 minutes - but I won't be running the stopwatch unless you're
absolutely ridiculously overtime.  Also include $5 to cover expenses,
anticipated and otherwise.  Anything over and above actual costs will go to
the Mike Curtis Beer Fund - but I don't expect this to be a windfall, with
the responses thus far.  (And no this is not a "burp" joke)

For best overall finished tape quality, I would prefer a "first generation"
(an original recording) or second generation (copy of a really good quality
original) C-60 type II (Chromium Dioxide) or IV (metal) tape, recorded with
either DBX, Dolby C, or Dolby B.  A decent quality ghetto blaster recording
will be fine.

I also have a Tascam model 244 Portastudio, so if you can make a tape
compatible with this (4 track, one direction, double-speed, DBX encoded),
I'll be happy to handle it.  However, not all 4 track cassettes are
compatible, so also include a standard format copy if your machine isn't
specifically a 244 and you're not absolutely positive that your tapes will
play on a 244 - I'll use the best one for the master tape.  The 244 requires
type II tape - don't use type I, and especially not type IV!!!

I'll accept any type of cassette, but by following the above, your song and
your finished tape will sound its best.

Steve and I will exchange a single tape, with everything collected by each
of us.  We'll then edit and duplicate both tapes into a "master" Harp-L
tape.  This will create one additional generation for the exchanged
material, but hopefully the reduced cost will encourage more Harp-L'ers to
respond.  Remember - this is not a competition - it's an excellent way we
can share our music with other harmonica enthusiasts.

My mailing address is:

Mike Curtis
7921 Wilkinson Avenue
North Hollywood CA 91605-2210

Remember to enclose:

1	C-60 (preferably type II or IV) cassette tape with your name and
        address, and the song you want either the first song on side A, or
        queued up and plainly marked on the cassette (i.e. side B, 3rd song,
        "GREASE MONKEY MAMA" in F), just in case I mess up and rewind back
        to the beginning.  This tape will be used for your finished harp-l
        tape unless you send a second tape for this purpose.

1	check, etc., for US$5 (If you'd like your original tape back, send 2
        tapes and US$6, and mark BOTH tapes - one "original", the other
        HARP-L; and be sure to punch out the record defeat tabs on the back
        of the cassette so it can't be recorded over!)

1	BRIEF cover letter with your mailing address, song title, key harp.

Unless your tape is marked otherwise, it will be recorded with Dolby B noise
reduction.  My tape duplicating machine handles only Dolby B and C, or no
noise reduction.  I find that Dolby B plays back very well on a non-Dolby,
so I would recommend Dolby B, even if your deck doesn't have it.  Dolby C
sounds distorted on a non-Dolby deck, but is very good if your deck
specifically supports Dolby C.  If it just says "Dolby", it's Dolby B.

Why all the concern about tape quality and generations?  Each time a tape is
rerecorded, it loses quality.  By the time we finish this, the tapes that
have crossed the ocean will be fourth generation minimum (original, my
master, Steves master, and the finished tape)  Third generation is usually
considered marginally acceptable, so we're going to be VERY marginal by the
time we're done.  Also, these will be done on several different machines
(yours, mine, and Steves), which will further degrade signals.  By starting
with the absolute best, we end up with a decent product.

If you'd rather not submit a song but would like a copy of the tape, just
send US$6 and I'll supply the tape and postage, etc., and make you a copy.

For non-USA, please contact me directly and we'll see what we can work out.
(e.g. my wife collects stamps, so something along these lines can often be
arranged instead of currency exchange and the robber bank barons.)

 -- mike