Re: Grapefruit Juice Can

> Man, I know I'm gonna regret this, but the question now is:
>
> How exactly did you wear this "harmonica mic thingie?"  Or perhaps that
> should be "Where?"
>
> [Remember, this is a family mailing list. ;)]

which is one reason why I described mine (same one) as "a chromed tube
that's slotted and flared down one side".

The unit is an old Guyatone pickup.  It looks a bit like a large hot link
sausage.  It has a dome shaped end cap on one end, and a similar one with a
crystal microphone on the other.  A volume control is mounted at the mic.

The slot down the side of the thing accommodates different size harps, up to
about 8 inches.

The pickup I use is based on one of these, but sealed with LOTS of hot glue
and using an R47 (Green Bullet) mic capsule.

While I don't think it was intended for rack use (I vaguely recall the box
showed it being hand-held), with a little ingenuity and a roll of Scotch 88
electrical tape, I was able to fit the stock Guyatone into my rack.

The crystal mic cartridge was a real cheapie, and sounded like buzzard puke,
especially through solid state amplifiers.  Also, the tube has air holes and
is leakier than the Titanic.  I wasn't really happy with its sound until I
had filled and sealed it with a couple pounds of hot glue.

BTW, I have modified my rack to better hold this monster - I took an old
pair of suspenders, cut off one strap, and sewed it to the back of the rack.
With a little tension, the rack stays in place _much_ better - and my neck
is improving to the point that people don't mistake me for a troglodyte
nearly as often!

 -- mike