LES PAUL

Tomcat Colvin asked about Les Paul playing the harmonica - I have a tape
given me by a non-harmonica playing friend, in which Les does indeed play the
harmonica using a neck rack, while playing guitar.  It was included on a
collection of early Les Paul / Mary Ford recordings, and was the only cut on
the album where he plays harp.  I will soon have more details on the subject
- I believe the title of the song was "Cowboy".

Another interesting note in the news:

<From the Los Angeles Times, June 2, 1995:  The L.A. Sound: "What Was the
First Rock 'n' Roll Record?" , a book by Jim Dawson and Steve Propes, asserts
that the landmark recording was made July 2, 1944, in L.A.'s (since
vanquished) Philharmonic Auditorium next to Pershing Square.  The tune was
'Blues, Part 2,' that included guitarist Paul Leslie and pianist Slim Nadine.
 Paul Leslie and Slim Nadine, the authors point out, were phony names.
 Leslie was actually Les Paul, who 'was in the Army at the time and not
allowed to record as a civilian musician.'  And Nadine was under contract to
Capitol Records.  The pianist was better known as Nat King Cole."

- Danny Wilson (BassHarp)