Low D harps

I received a question regarding the #1 draw reed of a low D Hohner harp
hitting
the cover when it is played.  This occurs because models like the Special 20
and Marine Band 1896 were not originally designed to have reeds so heavily
weighted as are found in the lowest notes of the keys lower than G.  These
reeds do better when they are played with less air than with regular key
harps.
Lowering the action of these reeds will also help, in two ways.  They will
not
swing out as far from the reedplate as they would with a greater offset, and
if
the action is lowered on these heavy reeds then one is forced to play soft so

that the reeds won't choke.  I enjoy the soft, easy sound of a low D Marine
Band
1896 or Special 20, but if I need more power I use the 12-hole Marine Band
364-D.

The MS series harps have a higher profile at the mouthpiece which gives more
clearance for the low draw reeds, and also have the reeds set a little
farther into
the reed cells, giving still more clearance.  Low keys are not available for
them
yet in the USA, but Big River Harps and Cross Harp MS replacement reedplates,

which will fit all MS models, are now on order from the factory in all keys
from
low D to high G.
                                                                  Regards,
                                                                  Rick Epping