Re-learning the chromatic

Taking up the chromatic again after a 15 year interruption, I now for
various reasons (bullet mike cupping etc) find it more natural to use the
thumb in working the slide.

I wonder if anyone of the chromatic players on the list could tell if
there s any long range drawbacks to this technique, since nobody (?) seems
to use it.

Is the thumb somehow slower than the index finger? less sensitive? or
should one simly follow the directions from one's own anatomy? It seems to
me as if the cupping of the mike gets much tighter this way, and so far I
haven't noted any ergonomical problems.

                                        Martin O. c/o Dahlbom

*
Bo Dahlbom, Department of Informatics, G|teborg University, 412 96
email dahlbom@xxxxxxxxx 	tel +46(0)31 772 5174, fax +46(0)31 772 1099