Weekday Warrior

James Hanson wrote:

>>a musician is well-served by learning how to read music
>>AFTER he has mastered the instrument to a certain degree - it is easier to
>>graft reading music onto mastery than to unlearn only playing written
>>notes and learn how to "feel" the instrument.

I think you are right.  There is a problem with getting expert with reading
music.  If you are not a really natural musician (you know instantly if you hear
one, Pete Pedersen is a case, listen to a couple of notes of his and you know
they couldn't have been done differently, they are right!) the a lot of music
reading can drain away what 'little' ability you have for improvisation.  This,
I think, happened to me.  I felt insecure, and still do, if I got away from the
dots.  It has taken a great effort of will and a computer program called Band in
a box to wean me away from the printed page.

BUT, you still need the ability to read, at whatever level, to access the
astonishing variety of world music which is available.

>>I do, however, bow in wonder and astonishment to Doug Tate.  I may
>>have to go out and rent Freebie and the Bean II....  The first one was a
>>classic...

How on earth could I possibly fail to put the above backon the list. Such
discernment from someone who is obviously a scholar and a gentleman.  However
much I like the praise I think I should put the whole thing in perspective.
Making films like that, or playing in front of orchestras is a time when the
laundry bills for nether cladding go up dramatically.  Yes, I have a certain
facility for reading music, and so do a number of other harmonica players. BUT,
if you take the sight reading ability and musicianship of the average session or
orchestral player on a standard instrument, you would find we can't hold a
candle to them.  We haven't got the schools of harmonica playing, or the text
books or music of a sufficiently high standard to even approach what the
average, ordinary musician thinks of as normal at grade 8, let alone at diploma
standard.  You will no doubt scream back that there are plenty of superb player,
even those who have been through Julliard or the Royal College of Music.  Yup,
one or two, but even they, IMHO are not on a par with the good orchestral
player.

Note, this is my opinion.  If you know different, tell me, I WANT to be
convinced and hear these people.

Again, thanks James, I love you toooo.

Douglas        #8>)) B--=   You haven't met my sister, have you?