Re: Vibratos, Etc.

On Mon, 5 Jun 1995, Bobbie Giordano wrote:

> Is making a vibrato by rhythmic note-bending a common method used by others?

Yes, and it is the ONLY method of making a vibrato on the instrument.  As
you pointed out,  changes in volume (amplitude) are correctly called a
tremolo.  That is distinct from vibrato,  which is a change in pitch.  I
think many players use both without thinking about it--they just do it.
Some players make great use of deep (big pitch change) vibrato: Leo
Diamond comes to mind.

Note too that bending is always down,  so that vibrato on the harmonica
is always a shift between the main pitch and something below it.  I think
Diamond used to have his harps tuned to 448 so that when he used his deep
vibrato (pulling the pitch down) he was still in tune with the ensemble.

Also,  most other instruments produce vibrato in a downward
direction--even string players start on the main pitch and vary it on the
lower side rather than the upper.

John