Re: Vibratos, Etc.

Well to answer your question Bobbie, yes I rythmically bend notes.  On
the greater question of types of harmonica "vibrato" it seems to my small
mind that virtually all types of harmonica induced vibrato are going to
have some aspects of both amplitude and frequency modulation.  As you
waver the pitch in throat vibrato the amplitude is bound to change.
You're altering the energy imparted to the note along with the energy
required to sound the note.  Even the fluttering hand waver more like a
tremolo than a vibrato is going to have large amounts of doppler
influenced pitch shift due to the movement of your hands.  Add a wavered
bend to that effect and you end up more vibrato than tremolo.  I'm
assuming that the hands are acting as an acoustic chamber in this case so
that moving them has the effect of changing where the sound appears to
emminate from.  Virtually the same as the afore mentioned Leslie
speaker.  Rkt's previously mentioned trill not a trill is bound to have
aspects of vibrato because who doesn't round the edges of the notes off
in a small bend as they flutter?  Golly if we can't play legato easily we
for god's sake ought to get vibrato and tremolo. The truly dramatic
demonstration of this is to play my bass A diatonic.  The different
breath pressure required to play this thing top to bottom is tremendous.
Playing with anything approaching legato is difficult to say the least.
Oh well wait till the weekday folks wake up and find all this latin and
technobabble acoustics in their mailboxes.  We're in trouble now.  FJM

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming