Shake/trill

Thanks for the useful expansion.

Vibrati ...true or false.  If you take the Latin vibrato then as far as I
remember from my dim and distant studies (it was still a live language in those
days 8>)  ) the general pluralization was to change the end to 'i'.  I should
add that I got my best school report ever for Latin, it said, quote ...'Not one
isolated clue' ... unfortunately we are not allowed to put that sort of remark
in reports nowadays!!

Back to business.

You missed out an important point about Tremolo and all its variations
(tremolando etc (tremolandi (perhaps???))) . The, or rather one of the accepted
definitions of tremolo is that of a rapidly repeated note with no pitch
variation.  The normal examples given are the repid back and forth movement of
the bow on violin on a single note or chord, or the technique used by, for
example, mandolin and banjo players to extend notes (lots of twiddle with a
plectrum).

Its an interesting subject because it boils down to a matter of taste, a matter
of style, and what the Hell can I do at this stage in my playing career.  The
nice thing is when (YUK, horrible English construction) the players technique is
so established that there is no thought of the technique, only of the musical
effect.  And even further than this, which happens to most people, when the
whole thing is automatic. THEN at that stage you need to give serious
consideration to the musical aspects of whether you are still in the bounds of
musical taste for your genre.   Sort of a circular argument which mirrors the
way a systems analyst works.

If you want a definitive use of Trill ... see Bobbie G's posting yesterday.

Douglas T